Source: Vikas Goyal
SharePoint Foundation 2010 is the next version of Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 which is the foundation infrastructure for any SharePoint product like MOSS or SharePoint 2010.
What’s New in SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Business Connectivity Services (BCS) the next version of BDC in MOSS 2007 is now included in SharePoint Foundation.
- Streamlined Central Administration with Ribbon interface
- Claims based Authentication : to support any corporate identity system like Active Directory, Domain Services, LDAP-based directories, application-specific databases, and user-centric identity models.
- SharePoint Maintenance Manager : enables SharePoint Foundation to automatically check for potential configuration, performance, and usage problems.
- Ability to send SMS alerts to mobile phones
- Microsoft Sync Framework as part of SharePoint Foundation : allows other Microsoft and third-party applications to synch more easily with SharePoint Foundation 2010 deployments.
- Mobile : Mobile Web Part adapters, Mobile SMS and many new controls.
- LINQ to SharePoint Provider on server side.
- Ribbon Interface
- Sandboxed Solutions : allows site collection users to upload their own custom code solutions. stored in a solution gallery.
- Shared Services Provider (SSP) has been replaced by Service Application Framework : supports WCF, Round Robin Load Balancing, Claims based identity.
- Silverlight Web Part for simple and quick hosting of Silverlight controls.
- Stsadm.exe administration tool has been replaced by Windows PowerShell.
download Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 from http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010/default.mspx or